Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

CSU students are having a hard time taking classes they need to graduate.

Some students have expressed frustration with their required classes filling up before they are even allowed to register.

Amanda Hack, a junior history major, was only able to find space in two upper-level history classes. She needs several of these classes each semester to meet requirements in the history department. Hack said that most of the classes only offer one section.

“I guess I’ll just show up and beg,” she said. “But if everyone does that then I’m just screwed.”

Kevin Oltjenbruns, interim vice provost of undergraduate studies, said the number of courses offered is a complex topic. Administrators have to find teaching space, a competent instructor, money and oftentimes lab or studio space for every class CSU offers, she said.

“It’s a very complicated, multi-dimensional issue,” Oltjenbruns said.

CSU allocates money each semester to add new sections of classes that fill up faster than expected. Spring 2003 has about $900,000 of flexible money to accommodate students’ needs.

Some students are having trouble fulfilling requirements in CSU’s core curriculum. Kate Harwood, a sophomore English major, has tried everything to fulfill her global and cultural awareness credit.

“It’s ridiculous,” Harwood said. “There’s 9 million choices and they’re all full.”

Oltjenbruns said that her office does its best to communicate with the different colleges and find out what courses are in high demand. From there, they make recommendations on what courses to add.

“While we can fund many additional sections,” she said, “we’re not able to fund all of them.”