Authors: Kyle Endres

During the upcoming holiday season, the CSU community can do its part to help Larimer County’s less fortunate by adding donations to the Giving Tree.

The tree, a 12-foot evergreen, began its fourth year at the Lory Student Center on Friday and will remain there through Dec. 13.

The Giving Tree is an opportunity for students, faculty and community members to donate warm clothes to Fort Collins residents in need. Hats, gloves, mittens, scarves and monetary donations are all needed. Donations will go to the Education and Life Training Center.

“It’s a creative way for us to bring some color and d/cor to the student center while we can contribute to the community in a needy way,” said Michael Ellis, the student center director.

The Education and Life Training Center is a Fort Collins-based group whose goal is to “help the low-income, disadvantaged and the culturally diverse populations of Larimer County achieve increased educational and economic skills with the end result of employment or enrollment in post-secondary institutions.”

It is especially important to help the community this year with the economic downturn the nation is experiencing, said Tari Hunter, a graduate assistant in the student center director’s office and organizer of this year’s Giving Tree program.

“With the state of the economy, every little bit will help with the winter coming up,” Hunter said. “It shows that the CSU community will show support for Larimer County by collecting these donations and sending them.”

One CSU group is doing something a little different to help the community.

The employees at Sweet Sinsations are continuing their tradition of donating two entire days’ tips to the center. On Dec. 12 and 13, the employees will give all their tip earnings to the needy.

“While I think (the Giving Tree) is a great opportunity for staff to give back to the community, what impresses me most is that the students at Sweet Sinsations give their tips to the Education and Life (Training) Center,” Ellis said. “It’s really about the spirit of giving that comes with the end of the semester and the holiday season.”