Swim team ready for UNLV

Authors: Joelle Milholm

Saturday’s meet against UNLV is the most pivotal meet of the season so far for the CSU swimming and diving team. Both teams are currently 2-0 in the Mountain West Conference and a Ram victory could be the deciding factor in the race for the conference title in March.

Head coach John Mattos is excited for the competition and believes the Rams are ready.

“At this point, UNLV is our biggest meet of the season. We have been looking forward to it for a long time,” Mattos said. “Hopefully our other meets, especially the one against a high quality team like Notre Dame will help prepare us.”

Last year in the MWC Championships, UNLV edged out CSU for second place. In accordance with this year’s preseason MWC poll, CSU is ready to prove they deserve the number two spot.

“We are excited for the meet. We got to rest a little bit more this week at practice and we are ready for them,” junior Kristen Schneider said. “We always get excited for this huge rivalry.”

The Rams have beat the Air Force Academy and New Mexico in conference meets this season, while UNLV has also beaten New Mexico and San Diego State. CSU has an overall record of 4-1 and UNLV is 4-3.

Star swimmer Kristen Schneider is expected to swim well and hopes for top finishes in all three of her events. She will compete in the 200-yard IM, the 200-yard medley relay and the 200-yard backstroke.

“I have not swam backstroke in a few weeks, but it is my best stroke. It is definitely where my focus is,” Schneider said.

The divers will also be traveling to Las Vegas in hopes of a victory. Going into the third conference match-up, the divers are highly anticipating the challenge.

“All we have to do is have a really good week at practice and we should fair well,” said senior captain Erin Shumway.

The swimmers and divers will begin their events at 2 p.m.