Authors: Vince Blaser

Defying history, the elephants stomped all over the donkeys on Nov. 5 like a Broncos vs. Falcons Super Bowl.

The Republicans now control both houses of the legislature and the executive both nationally and in Colorado. Their domination was a big blow to Democrats, but it could be a blessing in disguise depending on what happens over the next two years.

For the first time in 50 years, the GOP controls both houses of Congress and the presidency. Also, it is only the third time in the past 100 years the president’s party has gained seats in a mid-term election.

I think the two primary reasons for this showing was the fervor of patriotism and backing of Bush since Sept. 11 and the poor planning and direction of the Democrats. Although Bush’s approval rating has been dropping slightly after reaching record levels after the terrorist attacks, it is still one of the highest since the rating came to be. The Ds tried to base their platform on economic reform for a country mired in financial troubles and corporate scandals. However, the plan never really came into fruition both nationally and locally and it ended up costing the Democrats.

Now, I’m sure the GOP chairman would probably say it was because Americans simply favored the agendas of the Republican candidates, but whatever the reason it happened. Now the GOP has control, and the responsibility of a whole nation on them. If the nation recovers and gains economically, a quick war with positive results is waged against Iraq and if Social Security doesn’t go down the tubes, the Republicans can take all the credit and re-elect Bush and hold a still slim majority in Congress. However, if the current economic trend continues, Iraq popularity goes sour and new Supreme Court Judges and Republican Social Security policies upset the nation, this election may actually be looked at as a Democratic advantage.

If the D’s had held onto the Senate and retaken the House, Bush could easily have passed of the nation’s problems on the donkeys and could have an easier time in campaigning. Now if things go bad, we may see huge Democratic gains in 2004, including the presidency.

Bush should have no problems now getting judges through the Senate, and there may be as many as three new Supreme Court justices retiring over the next two years. Theoretically, Bush could appoint judges who would overturn Roe v. Wade, giving enough justices to overturn the decision that made abortion legal. A pro-life stance is big on the Republican’s agenda; however, I don’t know if Bush would be dumb enough to effectively implement such an enormous change, but it is W.

Politics over the next two years will definitely be something to keep an eye on.

Best Governor and future VP?

Rollie Heath we hardly knew you. Gov. Bill Owens trounced his Democratic opponent and has been called by National Review as the best governor in the nation. It is also rumored that if Dick Cheney does not run with Bush in 2004, Owens could become Bush’s running mate.

Are you kidding me? Are we talking about the same governor that said the whole state was on fire this summer, effectively screwing what tourism there was in the mountains?

I’ve seen Owens take education down a horrible road and pile up a huge state deficit over the past two years. I would have voted for Mick E. Mouse before I voted for Owens. Granted he is groomed for the position of being a strong leader and got the T-REX thing underway, but best in the nation? You almost have to be crazy to want to teach in a public school in this state now, the way Owens has attached CSAP scores to teacher performance and is constantly trying to replace public schools with charter schools.

If the ticket is Bush/Owens in 2004, I hope I’m registered in another state because my vote wouldn’t matter much in Colorado.

Too close to call

From the did you know file, a tax issue here in Fort Collins that would raise the sales tax by .25 percent and add a 1 percent construction tax for transportation projects is still too close to call. With 200-400 newly implemented provisional ballots still to being counted, 19,322 votes have been counted against the measure, while 19,307 were in favor. I thought money for much-needed projects was a good thing, but was very reluctant in my ‘yes’ vote because I thought some the projects picked on the bill should not have been given top priority over others not listed (the huge bumps on Mulberry, hello!). I didn’t think my vote could decide it, but it is just another example of how every vote on every measure and race counts.