Authors: Dustyn Connelley

Why is it that we think the bigger something is, the better it is? When did we start looking past the small and just as productive ones; and begin to think that it wouldn’t do the job unless it had a “super,” “extra,” “huge” or “XXL” attached to it?

I know what you’re thinking – you think you know what a 21-year-old female in college is going to talk about – but sorry boys, it’s not about you. I’m talking about materialistic things and where we buy them.

It used to just be plain old K-Mart and now it’s Super K-Mart. It used to just be plain old Wal-Mart and again, now it’s Super Wal-Mart. Even Target has become a follower and couldn’t stand it that they had some “plain-Jane” name. They gave in to the peer pressure and they soon too will be called Super Target.

Now, maybe I missed the catch, but if everything is now “super” then aren’t they all the same, and aren’t we back to square one of just being a plain old grocery/department store, just with more stuff?

I think they just complicated things. Now whenever we want to go somewhere or need to get something we have to say a whole extra word so people know what we’re talking about. And, beyond the name, when we decide to go to these “super places with everything imaginable in them,” how the hell do you find anything?

I mean sure, it’s a convenience, but really, who needs all of that stuff in one place anyway? If I were going to spend the day shopping, I’d rather go to a couple of different places where you can easily find what’s on your list and even if you don’t find everything, you can at least see a variety in the locals who work there.

Even if they are bigger, they don’t provide as many jobs as two stores would, and there is no way that they are able to offer the variety in products that separate stores with different manufacturers can. I think it’s great that they offer the products and jobs that they do, and that they help to support the families who dedicate their time there, but are their monopolizing ways really that necessary?

The sickening thing is, this isn’t just a trend in our stores; it’s the products, too. We are so consumed with materialistic things, more so than any other country.

My friends from Denmark were visiting recently and the first thing they said about our cars was that they thought they were reflections of Americans’ egos, and that we were maybe compensating for something. If you have never seen the cars in Europe, I encourage you to look them up on the Internet. You’ll find that they have never even heard of the term “souped-up.” They drive these itty-bitty, plain old things whose sole purpose, as crazy as it may sound, is transportation.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my car and I’m not saying that we don’t deserve luxury in life, I just think that some of it is a little excessive. Take the new Ford Excursion, for example. That thing is practically bigger than the “little bus” that we all feared in middle school. Who needs all of that stuff that you anticipate to put in it, when you buy the vehicle in the first place? It looks impossible to park and frankly, I’m a little scared of the soccer mom who’s driving that beast.

And it’s not just the new line of insanely large SUVs – the same goes for smaller cars and all the accessories you can buy for them. There are a lot of so-called “pimped-out rides” around town and a few of them actually make me laugh. Like the Accords with spoilers that are practically the same size as the car. Unless you just got cast for the new “Fast and the Furious” and you’re planning on pulling some of those stunts, what’s the point? It just looks wrong and I’d have to agree that it just might look like you’re compensating for something.

It seems ridiculous to me that we are led to believe that these are the important things in life. That unless something is friggin’ huge or really expensive, then it’s not worth it and that in turn determines our own worth. By all means, buy your groceries at Wal-Mart or install ground effects on your car; I really don’t care, but keep in mind that just because it’s bigger doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better.