Rams drown Falcons

Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU swimming and diving team out-swam the Air Force Academy by a score of 176-124 on Saturday. The victory bumped the team’s record to 2-1 overall and 2-0 in the Mountain West Conference.

Air Force, which was undefeated, dropped to 10-1. Out of the 16 events competed on Saturday, the Rams put forth a great team effort to win 12.

CSU once again cleaned up in both relay events. The 200-yard medley team placed first through the combined efforts of junior Kristen Schneider, sophomore Lyndsey McCaslin, junior Kristin Knudson and freshman Rachelle Kula. They finished with a speedy time of 1:49.37.

The 400-yard freestyle squad also took first with a time of 3:37.21 from Kula, Knudson, sophomore Seda Ozdemir and freshman Elizabeth Jones.

CSU also faired well in individual events, with the 100-yard butterfly and 50-, 500- and 1,000-yard freestyles being the only events without first place Ram finishers.

Top finishers included junior Katie Peck with victories in the 200-yard freestyle in 1:56.07 and the 200-yard individual medley in 2:13.72.

Senior Dylon Groenewold also performed well, taking first in both the 100- and 200-yard backstroke with times of 1:01.18 and 2:12.63, respectively.

Junior Lyssa Fischer won the 200-yard breaststroke, and Schneider added two more first place finishes – in the 100-yard freestyle and 200-yard butterfly – to a long list of victories so far this.

Now that the Rams are a few meets into the season, the team is discovering its potential for success.

“Everyone is off to a great start and competing well,” sophomore Sarah DeLapp said. “All we have to do is keep swimming like we are right now and hopefully we will win a lot more meets.”

The Rams also showed the Falcons how diving should be done. Junior Lori Vigil dominated the one- and three-meter boards, taking first in both events. Vigil already won Mountain West women’s Diver of the Week earlier this season and is off to a sensational start. She also has already qualified for the NCAA Zone E Diving Regional Tournament that will take place in March.

“Lori is really turning it on this year,” senior diving captain Erin Shumway said. “She has really shined in all of our meets so far. She is doing great in practices and you can see that through her performances.”

On the one-meter board, Shumway followed Vigil taking third, while sophomores Elizabeth Kidner, Kara Crisp and Meghan Trucco took forth, fifth and ninth, respectively.

In the three-meter event Shumway finished fifth, Crisp took seventh, Kidner took eighth and Trucco finished ninth.

The swimmers and divers will spend this week preparing for a very busy weekend. Half of the team will stay at CSU and compete in the Colorado State Invitational, and the other half goes to Denver for a tri-meet with the University of Denver and Northern Arizona. The divers will only compete in the tri-meet.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin