Authors: Christopher J. Ortiz

Cold weather did not prevent hundreds of Fort Collins elementary children from trick-or-treating Wednesday night as Shocktoberfest was underway in the Durell Center.

Put on by the Programming Activities Council and the Resident Hall Association, Shocktoberfest provided children with a safe and warm alterative to trick-or-treating door-to-door with activities such as trick-or-treating inside, pumpkin carving, pumpkin golf, spider golf and pumpkin bingo.

“With the weather being like it is outside, and it seems like more and more people aren’t staying home, their lights are not on,” said Teresa Suazo, who brought her son, who dressed up as Dracula. “And bringing our kids around the neighborhood, they don’t seem to get a lot of candy. I think it is great for the college students to put this on for the kids.”

Shocktoberfest was put on to replace the tradition of opening up the residential halls to trick-or-treaters in years past because of new safety concerns and regulations,” said PAC and RHA,

“From what I heard the reason is that we are not suppose to have unaccompanied people in the halls,” said Jennifer Carpenter, executive vice president of RHA. “As a general rule people have to be escorted by residents. So it kind of defeats the purpose if we open the doors for anyone to come it for one night. So what we did this year was open up the Durell Center.”

According to Pam Mudd, the program coordinator for PAC, the council donated $500 towards the event. RHA also donated money towards Shocktoberfest. Other sponsors of the event were the Community Campus Leader Groups and Housing and Food Services. Mudd said there were 50 volunteers helping out.

To advertise Shocktoberfest, the groups involved visited elementary schools, giving pamphlets to children to take home.

“The college students have been so generous to donate their time and their goods for our children, and we enjoy it every year, said Diane Mahar who brought her two children, Kaitlyn and Jacob.

Mahar said she brought her kids to the event because it provided a safer environment for her kids to participate in trick-or-treating.

“I think this is a safer alternative because it is within the halls, kids and their parents can come here,” said Carpenter. “We had food, prizes, it was fun and entertaining but is safer than being outside in the cold and going door-to-door. “

Luke O’Dell said he was glad that RHA was able to be a part of the children’s carnival. He also commented how this kind of activity reflects well on the university and CSU students.

“I think this is hugely positive …college students taking time out of their day to play with the kids and set up activities and get dressed (up), it is a really good reflection,” O’Dell said.

Both organizations said they plan on having the event next year.

Edited by Shandra Jordan and Andrew Whelan