Authors: Christin Nirsch

Rabbits are abounding at the Colorado House Rabbit Society, and they are looking for a home.

“Right now, we are just buried in rabbits,” said Christine Haas, director of the Northern Colorado House Rabbit Society. There is an abundance of rabbits at the Larimer Humane Society as well as the HRS.

Since LHS is a no-kill shelter, rabbits stay until they are adopted. When there is not enough room for any more rabbits at the shelter, some of them are given to volunteers from HRS, who can provide a foster home for them.

“It is uncommon for us to have so many rabbits at this time. Usually, we receive the most rabbits after Easter,” said Jeneen Houghton, a volunteer at the HRS. Other causes of homeless rabbits are when the owner of a rabbit moves and leaves it behind or there is an unexpected litter of babies, Houghton said.

Since the LHS and the HRS have reached their capacity for rabbits, they are hoping a lot of rabbits will be adopted soon. According to Haas, many college students have adopted rabbits in the past.

“Rabbits are good pets for college students because they are entertaining and don’t really make a mess,” said Jessa Gzym, a sophomore majoring in graphic design.

Although rabbits can be kept indoors and are easily trained, not everyone is a good candidate for owning rabbits.

“Someone who wants to adopt a rabbit should be patient, have a good sense of humor and be willing to make a 10-12 year commitment to their pet,” Houghton said. She emphasized the importance of being committed above everything else.

At LHS, single rabbits can be adopted for $30, while it costs $50 to buy a pair. These prices include the cost of a spay/neuter, a travel box and adoption counseling.

It is more costly to buy two rabbits, but it is strongly recommended by LHS because rabbits form pair bonds naturally.

“With two rabbits, you get twice the love with the same amount of work,” Houghton said. When rabbits are paired, they are less likely to become bored and usually have a longer lifespan, she said.

People who adopt rabbits often have questions regarding their new pets. Volunteers from HRS can answer most of the questions a rabbit-owner might have.

The HRS, which is closely connected with the LHS, is a national, non-profit organization that gives people advice about rabbits. In addition to advising people, volunteers also educate the public about rabbits and promote the adoption of them.

For those who do not want to adopt rabbits, there are other ways to help them, such as providing a temporary foster home for them or socializing with the rabbits at the LHS.

“(Shelters) will always be combating pet stores, but there have been huge improvements over the past years. I feel optimistic about our progress,” Haas said.

Edited by Vince Blaser and Josh Hardin

For more information about the Larimer Humane Society, visit their Web site at www.larimerhumane or call 226-3647. For advice about rabbits, e-mail Houghton at brat1477@yahoo.com or call her at 226-1269.