Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

Numbers are up in 2002 for underage drinking citations in CSU’s residence halls.

So far, more than 276 citations have been issued. This number tops last year’s 260 citations, but is down from the 388 citations issued in 2000 according to the CSU Police Department.

CSU is also imposing a new alcohol policy in the residence halls this year. In past years, residents over 21 were allowed to keep and consume alcohol in their rooms, as long as no one under 21 was present and the doors were closed. Starting this semester, no alcohol is allowed in the residence halls.

Anne Hudgens, executive director of campus life, doesn’t feel there is a connection between the new policy and the rise in alcohol citations. Instead, she attributes the rise in citations to more and better security.

“Increasing numbers actually say more about us doing things right than they’re being an increased problem,” Hudgens said. CSU has increased the nighttime security staff in each of the residence halls.

The new policy simply makes it easier to catch those violating the rules, said CSU Police Chief Donn Hopkins.

“It’s pretty obvious to spot when alcohol is basically forbidden,” he said. “There are also more people to observe those violations.”

The president of CSU’s Resident Hall Association, sophomore history major Luke O’Dell, is worried that the new policy will create a gap between incoming and returning students. He is afraid that the no alcohol rule will discourage older students from living in the residence halls.

“It robs freshmen, who are required to live on campus, of the opportunity of being able to interact with those students,” O’Dell said.

Hudgens doesn’t see this as being a problem.

“There’s just a handful of folks over 21 in the residence halls,” she said. “I think a lot of them are staff.”

Students and staff in the residence halls have hardly noticed the change.

T’Errance Favors, a senior majoring in Spanish education, is the hall director for Ingersoll and Edwards Halls. He hasn’t noticed the increase in citations this semester.

“I can’t say I’ve noticed a higher number,” Favors said. “Mid to late October is usually kind of the peak.”

Favors recognizes that the new rule may hinder some of the residents’ lifestyles.

“A lot of residents and staff do feel it’s a burden,” he said. Favors, himself, is of legal age to drink, but said the no alcohol policy hasn’t imposed on his lifestyle at all.

Edited by Shandra Jordan and Colleen Buhrer