Authors: Spencer Goodfriend

The old Robinson Upton bench located near hole six on the Frisbee golf course has recently been replaced by a nicer one made of stone.

“Friends and family of Rob Upton wanted to do something nice out of his memory. The old one was wearing down,” said Jennifer Johnson, the landscape architect for Facilities Management.

Upton was a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity in the early nineties, was an Inter-fraternal Council program coordinator, an avid environmentalist and a member of the track team. He tragically lost his life in a rock climbing accident.

“The brothers of Phi Delta Theta are proud to have such a wonderful landmark on campus in memory of Rob Upton, who was an outstanding member of our chapter as well as a campus leader,” said sophomore open option major and the Phi Delta pledge master Brett Knighton. “It’s a reminder for us all that commitment and loyalty to each other as well as the campus will leave a lasting impression.”

Students such as junior agricultural economics major Tim Eldredge walk by the bench often and are curious as to the meaning of the location.

“I don’t know why it’s in that spot, but its nice to sit down for a second when I’m playing the Frisbee course.”

The family and friends of Upton chose that spot, Johnson said.

Edited by Shandra Jordan and Colleen Buhrer