Unsure times: sure choices

Authors: Ashley Wheeland

In one week the decisions will be made.

The elections are being held next Tuesday for all of us who registered. While it may seem that the negative campaigns and the last minute radio spots are annoying, the elections are still important. They determine who will get what, where, when and how.

The elections are coming at a time when the country is on a threshold. After the tragedy last September, the punishment of terrorists, the plummet of the stock market, the impending war the administration wants with Iraq, and the economic decline, these elections will show just what is important to the public.

Have any of you noticed that huge companies are falling like flies? Others are merging with bigger bugs to stay together. There are scandals everywhere in corporate America. With these scandals have come job cuts throughout the CEO-led pack. Even our favorite neighborhood Top-500 company Hewlett Packard has had to cut our neighbors from the payrolls.

What will be next with this fun-filled economy? You got it, your favorite factory of education, Colorado State University. Just this last week the university has called off job searches in departments in preparation for the looming future. I guess we can call it, preparing for the future of the lack of opportunity.

What about your families? Do any of your loved ones work for the State of Colorado? I have a few who will most likely feel the draft of the economic downward spiral in Colorado. Most people that work for the state are holding their breaths in anticipation of the number cutting that may include the cut of their livelihood.

Many of you may know about these trends. A recent consumer survey estimated that consumer confidence has slipped down below 80 percent since September when it measured 93 percent. The public knows that there is trouble during this campaign season. And it is not just the Bin Laden or Hussein led trouble that is discussed constantly in this campaign season; it is in the trouble they are seeing in their pocketbooks and in their societal infrastructure.

We must look at the policies that we want to fix this trouble. Will more tax cuts really help? Will privatizing social security really help? Will using tobacco money to fund the state budget save it from the future, when leadership promises more tax cuts?

I want leadership who has a focus on what is important to me. And as a graduate student, as a young person, and as a woman I know that I want to be able to find a job out there. Our country needs to focus on improving the economy. It needs to help maintain what we have at the structural level, rather than impede what it can do.

Each of has the opportunity to influence what will happen next week. Here are some questions I have asked myself as I prepare to vote:

Who is our governor? Do you know who is running for lieutenant governor? Why don’t we know or see that person being talked about? Do you know what our governor has done in the past, and what he promised to do in the future? The governor can make a big impact on what you receive back in taxes as a check, and what you receive in keeping a job, getting a job, getting help and receiving the benefits you deserve.

Do you know who the local candidates are? What are the interests they talk about the most? They are the ones who stand up for you when the state budget is being decided. They impact what opportunities you can have as a student and as a member of society.

Last at the national level, the members of Congress have an impact on the benefits and protections you receive. Do you want to be protected economically and socially? Which candidate will allow this? What rights are important to you and which candidate talks about these rights?

While these are questions I am asking myself this last week, my final question to you is:

Do you want to see change? Than go out and vote and make it happen.