Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU swim team swam well on Friday, earning 100 points, but fell short of Notre Dame’s 162.

The loss dropped CSU’s record to 1-1 in dual meets this year. The Irish won 11 of the 14 events they competed in, but the Rams put up a good fight.

In individual events, sophomore Lyndsey McCaslin won the 100-yard backstroke, junior Katie Peck took second in both the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle, junior Melissa Fischer placed second in the 200-yard breaststroke and Connie Hofstetter took second in the 500-yard freestyle.

Junior standout Kristen Schneider had another successful weekend, winning the 100-yard backstroke and taking second in the 200-yard IM and the 200-yard backstroke.

Even though the Rams did not come out on top, Schneider said the meet went well.

“I am really happy with how we swam. We challenged a top 25 team and got some really good swims out of a lot of people,” Schneider said. “People were putting up some of their best times that they normally are getting at the end of the season.”

CSU captured victories in both of the relays on Friday night. The lethal combination of Schneider, McCaslin, freshman Rachelle Kula and freshman Elizabeth Jones earned a win in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:47.26. The Rams also took first in the 400-yard freestyle relay with the joined forces of Peck, Jones, sophomore Seda Ozdemir and junior Kristin Knudson.

The relay teams have been one of CSU’s strengths so far this season and are expected to score many more points in the upcoming meets.

Friday’s meet featured some of the toughest competition the Rams will see all season. With CSU racing at the same level and winning some events, the Rams are proving that they are going to be a force to be reckoned with. Since the meet was non-conference, it should not hinder any chances to win the Mountain West Conference or finish the season with a good record.

The divers participated in two exhibition events against themselves because Notre Dame did not send any competition. CSU hopes the meet setting will help prepare it for the meet against the Air Force Academy this Saturday, which will be CSU’s second Mountain West dual meet.

“The meet went well and I think it helped us practice and prepare for Air Force. We should be ready for them,” sophomore Meghan Trucco said.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin