Authors: Amy Bergstrom

One woman’s trip abroad can be turned into a learning experience for others through “International Connections,” a program put on by the Office of International Programs.

Tuesdays at 12:15 p.m. in the Lory Student Center room 164 different members of the CSU community share their international experiences in this “brown bag lunch series.” This week, Lisa Dale, an instructor in the College of Natural Resources, told of her research on community forestry in Ethiopia, the subject of her dissertation.

Dale discussed the Integrated Forest Management Project in Ethiopia and the connections of forest management with other aspects of society. “It’s not just about forestry,” she said. “It’s part of their experiment at becoming a democratic state.”

Those who attended the program consisted mostly of professors and graduate students, though the crowd varies depending on the topic, said Jacqueline S/ne, coordinator for international education in the Office of International Programs.

Not only does the program offer an opportunity to learn about international issues, it also offers an opportunity to learn more about students and professors at CSU.

“Lisa is one of my professors, so I thought it’d be interesting to see what she does,” said Cara DiEnno, a natural resources recreation and tourism graduate student.

The goal of the “International Connections” program is two-fold, S/ne said. “First is to give an opportunity for professors or community members to speak on an international issue. Second, we also want to increase the internationalization on the CSU campus,” she said.

The Office of International Programs found different faculty members who have been abroad recently to put on these programs. S/ne added that they are also open to suggestions.

“We’re always looking to increase the diversity of the topics presented,” she said.

In upcoming weeks, “International Connections” will address health improvement in Africa and Asia, a tour to Estonia and an internship experience in Peru.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Becky Waddingham