Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU swim team scored 1,273 points this weekend, crushing each of the other seven teams at the Early Bird Invite by a margin of more than 500 points.

The tournament, which took place Friday and Saturday at Eldora Ice and Pool Center, also served as a dual meet between CSU and New Mexico. CSU came out victorious, outscoring UNM by 547 points.

Everyone on the team contributed to the success.

“The freshmen really stepped up. We had some walk-ons that had great unexpected performances,” junior Kristen Schneider said. “Our upperclassmen did great too. We have a lot of talented swimmers in each class.”

Some of the individual highlights were sophomore Lyndsey McCaslin taking first in the 100-meter breaststroke, junior Jamie Robinson finishing first in the 200-meter breaststroke, junior Katie Peck claiming first place in the 400 Individual Medley, junior Corinne Hofstetter taking first in 200 butterfly and Kristen Schneider winning three events: the 200 IM, 200 freestyle and 200 backstroke.

“I was happy to improve my times from the Early Bird last year and I won all my events which was my goal,” Schneider said.

CSU had five swimmers in the top six in the 200 IM, five in the top 10 in 50 freestyle (including three freshman), three in the top nine in the 500 freestyle and took the top three places in 100 freestyle.

CSU also raced well as a team in the relays. It took first in three of the four freestyle relays in the 200, 400, and 800. They also placed well in the medley relays, taking first, second and fifth in the 200 and 400.

The Ram divers also had impressive performances in both the one-meter and three-meter events. In the three-meter competition on Friday, CSU had four divers in the top 15 with junior Lori Anderson in third, senior Erin Shumway in fifth, sophomore Elizabeth Kidner in 11th and sophomore Kara Crisp in 14th.

In the one-meter event on Saturday, CSU had just as great of a showing with three divers in the top 10. Anderson finished third, Crisp fourth and Kidner took ninth.

New Mexico had the top two divers in both events and won the diving title, but CSU was fairly happy with the results.

“We did pretty good for the Early Bird,” Crisp said. “Considering that we have not competed in a long time, we really did well. We really came together as a team.”

The Rams now have only a few days to prepare for their next test against Notre Dame on Friday. With the big win this weekend, CSU hopes it will help lead them in the right direction.

“This was a great meet to start us off on the right foot,” Schneider said. “This should give us the confidence we need to challenge a top 20 team like Notre Dame.”

The meet takes place at the Moby Pool on Friday at 5 p.m.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin