Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

Recently, I have noticed a trend among students to have a very anti-war, anti-Bush sentiment. This, I believe, is being formed when they read articles like in Ken Hamner’s Oct. 16 opinion article entitled “Bush a modern-day Caesar.”

I am sorry, but Bush is doing the right thing. Yes, Saddam was recently elected by a margin of 100 percent support. But isn’t that kind of easy when you are the only person on the ballot, and if you vote “no” you will probably be killed or imprisoned?

No we don’t have a government plan to put in place when we topple Saddam in days, but we really haven’t won the war yet, eh?

Also, if America really wants to globalize, shouldn’t we just wait and watch Disney and McDonalds impress American culture everywhere for us. They are already doing a great job, and it would be a lot less messy than military bases. I mean isn’t it nice that we can go to Iran, eat some Kentucky Fried Chicken, drink a Coca Cola and discuss how much cheaper gas is going to be once we have our 51st state in the Middle East?

Jonathan Petramala

Junior, Broadcast Journalism

To the Editor:

I’m writing in response to Robert Lee’s letter to the editor in the Oct. 21 paper. While I agree with Mr. Lee that the one line in particular in Friday’s “Our View” was perhaps not the best-worded, his statements about sexuality were degrading at best.

I find it hard to believe that people can so blindly label sexuality as a choice. I did not choose to be gay, and I can’t think of an individual that ever would. Likewise, I can’t think of any straight individual who chose to be straight.

To anyone who would disagree – Mr. Lee, perhaps – I’d like to offer a challenge. I want you to choose to be gay. For 24 hours try your best to be sexually attracted to the same sex. If you can accomplish that, then feel free to share your ludicrous opinions again.

See, in the end, that’s what sexuality is about. Not with whom you have sex, but to whom you’re sexually attracted. I can’t choose to be sexually attracted to women any more than I can choose, say, my skin color.

Furthermore, Mr. Lee, no one is asking for your pity. Pity is the last thing I want from anyone – especially from anyone like you. Save it, and your ignorance, for someone else.

Dave Savitsky

Senior, Computer Science