Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

This morning some students will awake with a unique task before them. They have chosen to make today a day of silence.

Dani Holveck, a graduate student in student affairs in higher education, helped organize and promote Silent Solidarity a day of silence to protest the oppression of minorities.

“It is a reflective time (for students) to think about how much they have a voice and how much that voice is sometimes not heard,” Holveck said.

The day of silence starts at 7 a.m. this morning and will end at 7 p.m. tonight with a discussion in the Red Carpet Room of the Durrell Center. The discussion will be an open forum regarding the fight against oppression.

“I anticipate around 200 students participating. We have enough supplies for 300 students,” Holveck said.

Some students interested in Silent Solidarity attended an informational meeting Monday where they received a t-shirt and 25 Silent Solidarity cards. The blue cards that may be circulating around campus today will be given away when a student is asked why he or she is remaining silent for the day.

The card states the reasoning for participating in the first Silent Solidarity event at CSU, stating: “I am participating in Silent Solidarity, a movement protesting the oppressions faced by people who have historically been silenced on the basis of their color, gender, sexuality or religion and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes their involuntary silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice and discrimination.” The card also serves as an invitation to the discussion in the Durrell Center.

“I think it would be a good challenge because I constantly have to talk. Being silent all day will hopefully show how stubborn I am,” said Paul McCain, a freshman journalism and art major who is planning on being silent today.

All students are invited to participate in Silent Solidarity.

“It’s an opportunity for students to see how often an opinion isn’t heard and it will hopefully help them be more aware of others,” Holveck said.

The blue Silent Solidarity cards are available in the residence halls.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Ben Koerselman