Authors: Compiled Josh Hardin

* Yates was born in Memphis, Tenn., and was the third child of John and Sadie Yates, owner of the Yates Caf/.

* He served in the U.S. Navy on the first crew of the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Kitty Hawk.

* When he returned home, he earned bachelor’s degrees in chemistry, a science he once failed in high school, and in mathematics from Memphis State University in 1965.

* He received a doctorate in theoretical chemical physics from Indiana University at Bloomington in 1968.

* He served as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Southern California and later completed the Institute for Educational Management at the Harvard School of Business.

* Yates was a member of the faculty at Indiana University and later an academic administrator at the University of Cincinnati and Washington State University.

* In 1990, the Colorado State Board of Agriculture (now called the CSU Board of Governors) that regulated CSU, the University of Southern Colorado and Fort Lewis College took notice of Yates and hired him to serve as the 12th president of CSU.

* Yates came to Colorado with his wife Ann and their daughter Aerin, who is now 13. Their second daughter Sadie, now 7, was born in Colorado. Yates has two older children, Steven and Stephanie, from a previous marriage.

* An atmosphere of intimidation and alleged abuse in the football program in 1992 led Yates to fire head coach Earle Bruce and led to the hiring of current coach Sonny Lubick.

* CSU was subject to a Title IX lawsuit in 1993, resulting from the elimination of women’s softball. Since then Yates helped the university become only a handful of Division IA programs in compliance with Title IX.

* The Fort Collins flood of 1997 caused $140 million in physical damages to the university. Yates was instrumental in asking for state funds to help the university rebuild.

* In 2001, the Colorado General Assembly and the City of Fort Collins recognized Feb. 28 as Albert C. Yates day with official proclamations.

* In January, the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo Yates honored Yates as the 2002 Citizen of the West. People such as Dick Cheney and Pete Coors have also held the title.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan and Becky Waddingham