Authors: Collegian Staff

The Hewlett-Packard Company gave nearly half a million dollars to a CSU organization that supports science and mathematics in high schools in three states.

The Center for Learning and Teaching in the West supports science and mathematic studies and professional instruction for high schools in Colorado, Montana and Oregon.

CLTW is a project of five universities including CSU, University of Northern Colorado, Portland State University, the University of Montana and Montana State University. The money will be used in high-need schools in the three states.

The grant includes HP computers, digital projectors, software and other supplies. CSU will also be given an HP Wireless Mobile Classroom including 30 notebook computers, a printer and fax, two wireless LAN cards, digital cameras and software

CLTW goals include developing future technological leaders, assisting teachers with training and providing technology for under-privileged schools.

“Ultimately, CLTW’s emphasis on technologies will help to close the achievement gap in mathematics and science in high-needs schools not only in Colorado, Montana and Oregon, but around the entire country,” said Ed Geary, director of the CLTW project, in a press release.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan and Becky Waddingham