Authors: Jason Graziadei

The Rams football team’s cardiac ways finally caught up with them.

Trailing in the fourth quarter for the second game in a row, it appeared that CSU was on the verge of another late comeback against Fresno State. The Rams pulled within two points of the Bulldogs after Cecil Sapp’s touchdown with one minute left in the ball game. Needing the two-point conversion to tie, Bradlee Van Pelt’s pass to the endzone was knocked away, and the ensuing on-side kick failed, sealing the 32-30 defeat for the Rams’ second loss of the season.

“We hurt ourselves,” head coach Sonny Lubick said. “A lot of yards doesn’t mean a darn thing if you don’t score points. No one in the locker room feels good about this. We gotta come back and we gotta shake this thing off.”

After CSU’s dominating opening drive was capped off by Van Pelt’s 35-yard toss to Joey Cuppari, it appeared the Rams may have a cakewalk for their fifth victory of the season. However, the Bulldogs took over the game and proceeded to score 17 unanswered points, including quarterback Paul Pinegar’s touchdown pass to Alec Greco after CSU’s Justin Holland threw his first interception of the year.

Fresno State managed to score five points in the final 30 seconds of the first half after a snap flew over Rams punter Joey Huber’s head and through the endzone for a safety. The Bulldogs fielded the ensuing punt and marched to the CSU five-yard line with one second left and kicked a field goal to go up 29-14 at the half.

“The win”s great – they’re hard to get,” Fresno State head coach Pat Hill said. “That’s a good football team we played tonight.”

Whatever the Rams’ coaches told the players in the locker room at halftime, it worked. CSU’s defense held the Bulldogs to a field goal for the entire half as the Rams battled back with several big plays.

Van Pelt tossed a 70-yard touchdown pass to freshman receiver David Anderson, and Jeff Babcock kicked a 31-yard field goal to pull the Rams within eight points.

But despite the impressive scoring drive that pulled the Rams within two points, it was not to be.Trying to catch the Fresno State defense off-guard, the CSU coaches called for a pass on the two-point conversion that was ultimately batted down.

“The biggest problem with our game today was ourselves,” Rams linebacker Drew Wood said. “You can shoot yourself in the foot, but we shot ourselves in the head.”