Authors: Kevin Foskin

The self-proclaimed “Justice for All” organization responsible for the return of last year’s ghastly spectacle on display has a rather limited (and highly politicized) understanding of what ALL means. In claiming such distinction (e.g., a defender of ALL) shouldn’t they be a bit more indiscriminate in their selection of what the ALL is? And shouldn’t the living, at the very least, also be represented in such a “circus of carnage”?

If they’re so keen on the protection of innocent children, why are they not also exhibiting glossy, professionally rendered photographs of the hundreds of thousands of children who have died in Iraq between 1991-1998 as a result of a relentless (and brutal) foreign policy?

In all fairness, shouldn’t we also be seeing such photographs right alongside the current skyscraper-size photographs this group has erected in our plaza? Why have they so conveniently forgotten to include these children as well in their “bloody pictorial-rhetoric”?

Yes, don’t be so shocked, you defenders of children. I do have the numbers right. For all you non-believers out there, take a look at several existing UNICEF surveys released in 1999 that conservatively estimate that the Gulf War bombings of civilian infrastructure and current sanctions have contributed to a half million deaths of children under the age of 5 between 1991 and 1998. That’s right! And we’re only counting children under the age of 5. We won’t even bother with children 5 and older.

And we’re not talking collateral damage here, either, if that’s what you’re thinking. We’re talking targets. Thomas Nagy, in his analysis of existing Defense Intelligence Agency documents (i.e., “Iraq Water Treatment Vulnerabilities”), points out a gruesome unpublicized fact: Iraqi children are a targeted population of a planned military strategy being carried out by our very own government.

But just don’t take his opinion. The New England Journal of Medicine (published 10 years ago!) stated unequivocally the graveness of the economic sanctions against Iraq and its devastating effect on Iraqi children, made even more deadlier by the deliberate destruction of infrastructures Iraqi civilian populations depend upon for survival (which, by the way, given existing treaties such as Geneva Convention Article 54, ARE ACTS AGAINST HUMANITY). This very article claims 50,000 children died in only 8 months (circa 1991) as a result of such strategic bombings. Why, do we not also see photographs that commemorate such human devastation out there on the plaza?

A selected morality is never moral. It’s only political!