Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU men’s golf team will face some respectable competition this Sunday when it hits the links in a 12-team tournament, including No. 21 Oklahoma, No. 23 UCLA and No. 25 Pepperdine.

The Pepperdine Club Grove Intercollegiate tournament will take place in Soma, Calif., and is a two-day, 54-hole tournament with 36 holes on the first day and 18 on the second.

The Rams are coming off a sixth-place finish in their last tournament, the Tucker Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M. They played the best round of golf yet this season in that tournament by shooting a 284 and moving up six places in the final day.

Junior Nolan Martin tied for sixth individually at the Tucker and hopes CSU can keep up its hot streak going into the third tournament of the year.

“We should do really well,” Martin said. “Hopefully we will do better than the other tournaments so far this year. Our iron play is pretty good and we are ready to play.”

The playing field will also include fellow Mountain West Conference teams, BYU and New Mexico, and competition such as Oregon, Southern Methodist and Stanford.

Pepperdine is excited to act as host for the tournament and expects two days of high-quality golf.

“We are anxious to serve as the host school for the Club Grove Intercollegiate,” Pepperdine head coach John Geiberger said. “The tournament field is excellent and the players will be challenged by the layout at the Saticy Country Club.”

CSU will return just in time to get ready for another tournament next weekend when it plays in the Fresno Lexus Classic in California.

Women hope for improvement and victory over CU

The women’s golf team will be taking action Monday and Tuesday at the Heather Farr/CU Memorial Tournament in Broomfield. With three tournaments behind them, the Rams feel like they are getting better everyday.

“Each tournament we see what we need to work on and then we practice to improve it,” sophomore Lynette Duran said. “We are excited to play. We are setting our sights high for this tournament and we are pulling to win it.”

This is the team’s fourth tournament of the year, and with second, sixth and 14th place finishes, it hopes to do even better.

“The season is going okay,” head coach Angie Hopkins said. “We could be better, but we are working hard and are looking to win this tournament. Our fairway and greens percentage is good, we just need to improve our short game.”

With qualifying rounds taking place today and Saturday, the Rams’ competition is still unknown, but will feature many teams from the west, and cross-town rival Colorado.

The team expects to do well in the tournament but would love to out hit the Buffaloes.

“We would really like to beat CU,” Duran said. “It is exciting to play them and really fun to beat them.”

After this tournament, the golf team will have a long break before traveling to Las Vegas for the Las Vegas Founders Collegiate in mid-November.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin