Authors: Kyle Endres

By Kyle Endres

Albert C. Yates announced that he is retiring in June from the university presidential position in a press conference Friday.

Yates cited his desire to spend more time with his family, a desire to read and write more, and a desire to “smile just a little bit more,” he said.

“It’s time to find a better balance to all these competing priorities,” said Yates, who is in his 13th year as president at CSU. “It’s important for me to see my two girls grow up.”

Yates will be retiring at the end of the fiscal year, which is June 30, or as soon afterward as a successor is named. Yates stressed that the decision to announce his retirement in October will be advantageous because the candidate pool for his successor is strongest.

Yates will continue as Chancellor of the Board of Governors of the Colorado State University System for a short time after stepping down as president in order to “ensure our citizens’ continuing engagement in board and state and system matters and to assist as best I can in the smooth transition to new leadership,” he said.

“I am most pleased about the progress of CSU over the past dozen years,” Yates said. “I feel personally blessed and extraordinarily grateful to have had the privilege, the opportunity, and the honor to serve the institution and the state of Colorado for the past 12 years.”

Yates said that he had considered retirement last year, but his commitment to the successful transition of the University of Southern Colorado into Colorado State University at Pueblo restrained him from retiring last year.

Yates was awarded the 2002 Citizen of the West award by the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo in January.

Faculty and students expressed surprise at Yates’ retirement.

“I think we’re going to miss him a lot,” said Somer Gomez, an administrative assistant in the President’s Office. “He’s done a great job and he’s been so dedicated over the past 12 years.”

“He’s done a good job,” said Chieh-Hsin Huerter, a senior biochemistry major. “He liked to advocate diversity, so hopefully whoever the new president is will advocate diversity as well.”

-Edited by Ben Koerselman and Becky Waddingham