Authors: Joelle Milholm

Most people sleep in on Sunday mornings to recover from Saturday night. Not the triathlon team.

On Sunday, the team met at the Student Recreation Center with Air Force and Colorado for a 500-yard swim, a 10-lap bike race through campus and a two-lap foot race around the athletic fields. There were a total of 116 racers, including 40 Rams.

Although Air Force came out on top, CSU still beat CU. The Rams were led by senior Carmen Small, who was the fastest female racer, finishing in less than 54 minutes. Even though it is only her first year on the team, it is already her second racing victory this fall.

“The bike was the easiest and the swimming was the most challenging because I have never been a swimmer, but it still went well,” Small said.

CSU will be hosting a 5K on Nov. 3 and are always looking for more members. For those interested, information and registration forms can be found at www.active.com.

The club had some exciting news earlier this month when senior Tim Price and graduate student Dan Storey were selected for the Ironman Collegiate National Championship in Wisconsin. Both members placed well in the competition, which featured a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and 26.2-mile run.

Baseball team takes two from ACC

The CSU club baseball team beat Arapahoe Community College twice, 13-3 and then 5-1, in a doubleheader on Sunday. While the Rams’ bats were on fire, the pitching might have been even better. Sophomore relief pitcher Ryan Lauer had a fantastic appearance in the second game striking out two in the seventh inning and posting a 92 mile-an-hour fastball on the radar gun.

Junior Barry Cleveland was fairly impressed with the team’s performance.

“We did pretty good, but we could have beat them worse,” Cleveland said. “We are hitting well even though we are still adjusting to wooden bats and our pitching was just awesome.”

The team is used to swinging aluminum bats, but is adapting very well to the professional-style wooden bats. The Rams have also played Wyoming, Utah

State and Northern Colorado this fall, finishing off each team with no problems. The team has one more competition at the Burt Chevrolet Tournament on Oct. 5, before heading to Waco, Texas, to play in the Texas Fall Classic hosted by Baylor University.

Lacrosse Team Beats Alumni

The CSU lacrosse team showed the advantages of being younger and faster as it lit up the alumni team Sunday, beating them 19-6. A large crowd gathered to watch the game and created a very friendly atmosphere among current students and graduates.

Coach Flip Naumburg enjoys this game every year not only to have fun but also get a glimpse of the team’s potential.

“We had a lot of fun. Lots of good guys have come through this program and it is good to see them again. They (the alumni) were talking a lot of smack before the game and we really took it to them,” Naumburg said. “At moments, this team looks really good.”

Earlier this fall, the Rams played in and won exhibition games against CU

(7-5), Western State (11-4) and UNC (17-4). They are now looking forward to a home tournament on Oct. 12 against CU, UNC, Ft. Lewis and two other men’s teams.

Hockey team splits two game series at Iowa State

The CSU hockey team lost its first game against Iowa State on Friday night 6-4, but came back on Saturday night to defeat them 6-2. Iowa State finished last year ranked No. 4 in the nation and CSU looked outstanding against them in its first official games of the year.

“To be able to contend with a team that good and absolutely dominate them on Saturday was great,” team president Shawn Kallet said.

The team will host its annual alumni game this Friday at 7:45 p.m. at

Edora Pool Ice Center.

“The alumni game is just for fun and helps reconnect the team with the local alumni,” Kallet said. “It is always fun to see all the guys again and skate with them.”

The team hopes that a lot of people will be able to attend the game.

Tickets cost $3 for students and $5 for non-students. The team will have its first regular-season home game Oct. 11 against Weber State University.

– Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin