Authors: Joshua Pilkington

The cold weather of winter may be moving in, but the bats of CSU’s women’s softball team are just starting to heat up.

With wins of 12-0, 10-5 and 8-2 this weekend at the Triple Crown Sports Complex in Fort Collins, the Rams showed some of the offensive power they hoped to show throughout the fall exhibition season.

“Everybody hit well,” said head coach Mary Yori, whose team finished the four-game tournament 3-1, with the lone loss coming in a 6-3 defeat to Northern Colorado. “With our offense stepping it up like it did (Sunday), we have something to carry with us into winter workouts.”

Though the offense came alive during the tournament, the Rams’ pitching staff – featuring junior Megan Masser, sophomore Melanie Mahoney and freshmen Genevieve Kelly and JayCee Wood – turned in less than stellar performances, Yori said.

“We know we have to go back to our pitching workouts,” she said. “Our pitchers have not been throwing well and they know that.”

In Saturday’s first game against Dodge City (Kan.) Community College, the Rams jumped out to an early 7-0 lead thanks to sophomore second baseman Steph Roberts, who had a triple and an RBI-single in the inning.

Kelly got the win in the four-inning victory and Roberts finished 3-4 with two runs scored and an RBI.

Game two was a different story entirely as Masser gave up four hits and four runs in the bottom of the first to the Bears of UNC.

The Bears padded their lead when junior Kim Kelly hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the third to make it 6-1.

CSU attempted to mount a comeback in the top of the sixth, getting three hits and a run before the Bears recorded an out. But the rally went for naught as the Rams could only get two more runs before falling 6-3.

Sunday a different Rams team came to play.

In their first game the Rams jumped out to a quick lead 1-0 on the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, only to see the advantage erased in the bottom half of the first.

With the scored knotted at two going in to the fourth, the team’s bats finally came to life as the team scored four runs giving the Rams a 6-2 lead.

The offense – led by sophomore catcher Kerry Farrel and junior first baseman Ricki Walker who went 3-for-4 and 2-for-4, respectively – continued to pull away en route to a 10-5 victory.

“We were more relaxed today,” Farrel said on Sunday. “(Saturday) everyone was tight, today we just came out and did our thing.”

Kelly picked up the win for the Rams, pitching six innings while giving up 10 hits and three earned runs.

The final game of the day pitted the Rams against Regis University of Denver.

Mahoney started the game for the Rams and gave up two runs on a bloop single while pitching three innings.

Masser replaced Mahoney in the fourth with the Rams up 3-2, and held Regis in check while the Rams opened it up scoring five runs in the final three innings to win 8-2.

” This was a good win for us,” Farrel said. “Our pitching wasn’t at its peak and we still won by six runs.”

The Rams shut down until the spring 2003 season, when Colorado’s winter weather should be at full-force.

– Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin