Authors: David Schneider

Hillel, the Jewish student group at CSU, is sponsoring three events on campus for students and other residents of Fort Collins focusing on the cultural, societal and political aspects of Israel.

The first event, on Monday, ran throughout the lunch hour and featured members of The Drummer’s Circle, a group from Israel, in the Sutherland Sculpture Garden.

The Drummer’s Circle, founded in Israel in 1997, has performed all over the world for thousands of people, including three presidents, the Dalai Lama and the United Nations High Commission for Religious Peace.

“We want to show that every culture and every race can be together and live together in peace at every level, from kindergarten to the university, all the way to the politicians,” said Menasche, a member of The Drummer’s Circle.

The group brings a unique interactive experience in which spectators become the Circle, beating the transcendent rhythms of Israel and of the world while chanting for peace and unity, said Hedy Berman, director of CSU Hillel.

“I think it’s important to show students that Israel is more than just a political entity. There is a whole rich culture and there are people who are living in the Middle East who advocate for peace,” said Kevin Paryzer, a sophomore English major and chairman of social programming for Hillel. “It’s almost impossible to show all of it in the media.”

Paryzer also said he thought the drummers were well-received by the rest of the students because the presentation was interactive.

At 7 p.m. Thursday in Clark C 144, three Israeli undergraduates will talk about their country and how their lives have been affected by political turmoil and terrorism. Each of the three will speak about their own unique experiences and perspectives on attending college and being in the military.

At 7 p.m. Oct. 9 in the North Ballroom of the Lory Student Center, author Mitchell Bard will be speaking on “Myths and Facts: The Arab-Israeli Conflict.” Bard is the Executive Director of the nonprofit American-Israel Cooperative Enterprise and a foreign policy analyst who lectures frequently on the U.S.-Middle East policy. He is also the Webmaster for the Jewish Virtual Library, a comprehensive online encyclopedia of Jewish history and culture. He also is the author of Myths and Facts: A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict and co-author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Middle East Conflict.

For additional information on current or future events, contact Hillel at 491-2080 or hillel@lamar.colostate.edu. For more information on the Drummer’s Circle, visit the group’s Web site at www.kingdaviddrummers.com.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan and Colleen Buhrer and Becky Waddingham