Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Censorship or no? Some representatives in the Colorado House are looking into proposing a bill that would make it a felony to distribute pornography via the Internet in hopes of enticing minors into sexual acts.

People convicted under the proposal would face six years in prison and a fine up to $500,000.

The bill is supported by Rep. Lauri Clap, R-Littleton, along with representatives in Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert and Lincoln counties in order to give prosecutors more power to punish people who disseminate sexually explicit images with the intent of luring children under 18 years old in to sex.

We think this appears to be a well-intentioned bill, but it is a bit too vague.

Something does need to be done about child pornography and problems with children having access to sexually explicit information on the Internet, but this bill is not the way.

Who gets to decide what is sexually explicit and what is not? Also, who makes the decision on what someone’s intentions are? We don’t think the government should be in charge of making these choices.

Plus, if parents are so concerned about what their children are looking at on the Internet then why don’t they start watching their children, instead of relying on the government to be the parent.

We believe censorship should begin in the home first, and the government should only censor in extreme instances.

This proposal is worthless if parents watch their children, because that would solve the problem this bill intends to solve.