Authors: Megan Fromm

Tomorrow is a day of irony.

It is a day of sorrowful remembrance, a day of joyful tribute.

A day of harbored resentment, of unveiled patriotism.

Tomorrow Fort Collins and the CSU community join the world in honoring the events of Sept. 11, 2001, celebrating lost lives and the heroism of people who united in the face of adversity.

At 8:46 a.m. tomorrow morning, the moment the first plane crashed into Two World Trade Center, community members, CSU faculty and staff as well as regional musicians will perform Mozart’s “Requiem” at the Lincoln Center, 417 W. Magnolia St.

The concert is part of Rolling Requiem, a worldwide commemorative performance. In nearly every time zone across the globe, singers and musicians will play the piece at 8:46 a.m. Because the performance lasts nearly an hour, the concept is that the requiem will “roll” across the globe for 24 hours.

Lee Egbert, director of choirs at CSU, helped to organize the event and said it is the perfect way for the world to unite in a time of vulnerability for many people.

“For a year I think a lot of people have been looking for a way to express themselves,” he said. “I think this is a marvelous idea.”

The tribute will commence in New Zealand and the Philippines, crossing the ocean to Japan, Siberia and China and continuing on to Africa, India and Italy. From western Europe, the performance will continue through North and South America, completing the circle in the islands of the Pacific Ocean.

“This is ample demonstration for our desire for unification,” Egbert said. “We have to be together in this. We can never forget.”

Lisa Eakins, administrative assistant for the Department of Music Theatre and Dance, will play cello with a regional orchestra compiled for the event. She said it is an honor to partake in such a moving experience.

“As a musician I know music has extraordinary healing powers,” she said. “I feel a responsibility to help (people heal) in any way my talent permits.”

“Requiem,” a dirge written to pay respect to the dead, is an appropriate selection, Eakins said, despite its almost-overwhelmingly mournful tenor and Catholic affiliation.

“This will appeal to people around the world,” she said. “The music itself expresses emotions and a sense of spirituality which without the words is even more universal. If you are not religious, it doesn’t matter. It still expresses the same thing.”

A performance by the CSU Wind Ensemble will open another commemorative celebration at noon in the Lory Student Center Plaza. Rev. Connie Winter-Eulberg, vice president of the University of Religious Affairs Directors Association, will lead participants in a moment of remembrance.

Also at the ceremony, CSU President Albert C. Yates will recognize a student, faculty member, a CSU alumna and a Fort Collins community member who each have contributed to the ongoing recovery effort.

Following the program, a seven-foot-tall peace pole will be dedicated in the university sculpture garden. The four-sided cedar pole will include the phrase, “May peace prevail on Earth” in eight languages: English, Spanish, sign language symbols, Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Hindi and Lakota-Sioux.

The observance will conclude with a sharing of multiple-faith prayers for world peace.

Also at noon in Old Town Square, Fort Collins will honor the anniversary with live bagpipe music, choral performances by Poudre School District students and a posting of flags by a multi-jurisdictional honor guard.

Fort Collins Mayor Ray Martinez will lead the audience in a moment of silence during the event.

“Nobody was left unaffected by the Sept. 11 tragedy,” he said. “Americans were forever transformed to focus on the more important things in life. At this ceremony, we can unite to pay homage to the people we lost but also refresh our hope in the future of our country.”

On-duty police officers will attend the event to provide security, said City of Fort Collins Publicity Marketing Assistant Christina Paguyo.

Anywhere from 200 to 1,000 people are expected to attend the event, which was planned to provide area residents the chance “to remember, to reflect and to find hope,” Paguyo said.

“The tone of the ceremony might be a combination of sorrow and hope as people mourn the loss of friends and family members,” she said. “Also, realize we are a strong community who can look toward a promising future.”

And for many, tomorrow is that promising future – that enduring moment which ultimately gives way to brighter possibilities. For others, tomorrow is an everlasting reminder of an altered world.

Indeed, tomorrow is a day of irony.

September 11 Commemorative Events:

Mozart’s Rolling Requiem

What: Performance of Mozart’s “Requiem”

When: 8:46 a.m.

Where: Lincoln Center, 417 W. Magnolia St.

Admission: Free

CSU Remembrance Event

What: Peace-pole dedication, multi-faith prayer, CSU Wind Ensemble Performance

When: 12 p.m.

Where: Lory Student Center Plaza

Old Town Remembrance Ceremony

What: Bag-pipes, moment of silence lead by Mayor Ray Martinez

When: 12 p.m.

Where: Old Town Square

Interfaith service

What: Service and candlelight vigil

When: 7 p.m.

Where: Plymouth Congregational Church, 916 W. Prospect Rd.

Candlelight Vigil

What: Candlelight vigil

When: 8:15 p.m.

Where: West Lawn of the Lory Student Center

Human Flag Event Cancelled

The planned creation of a human flag at Hughes Stadium has been canceled due to logistical concerns.