Authors: Zac Wiggy

Student, faculty and staff from the Lory Student Center’s history filled the Art Lounge for the opening of a new exhibition in the Curfman gallery Friday at 3 p.m.

The display, called “The Living Room,” details the history of CSU’s student unions and the role they’ve played as centers of student life. The title of the exhibition arose from the intended purpose of the student center, which is, “providing a place for students. A ‘living room’ for students,” said Adam Atchison, a CTV news anchor and producer of a video in the display.

The display uses photographs, building plans, video, artifacts from CSU’s past and a large timeline to detail the many shapes that the student center has taken as it adapted to the needs of CSU students.

“Students change from generation to generation… and the building has caught up,” said Hal Mansfield, a member of the first student governing board of the student center.

Rex Kellums was among those present at the opening reception. Kellums began his career at CSU as a freshman in 1956. He was the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs at CSU until 1995 and has had two sons graduate from CSU. He summed up the feelings of many of those present when he said, “It’s (the student center) been a big part of our lives.”

Premiering at the event was a video titled “40 Years of the Lory Student Center,” produced by Atchison and CTV producer Jon Stone. The twelve-minute video can be seen at the exhibition.

Atchison said he “felt very fortunate to have a hand in a fantastic operation.”

“The Living Room” exhibition will be at the Curfman Gallery in the Lory Student center through Oct. 19. The exhibition is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Friday noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Admission is free.