Authors: Joelle Milholm

Everyone has tossed a Frisbee at some point in their life. Whether it was as a little kid at the park or teaching a dog how to fetch, it’s a great way to spend an afternoon.

Ever thought about taking it to a more serious level? CSU can help you out. Men’s and women’s ultimate Frisbee are two club sports that CSU offers to all students.

The game is played with seven players from each team on the field as they throw the Frisbee down the field to other teammates trying to score.

“There is no experience necessary to come out and play on a fun, competitive team that is open to all students on campus,” men’s ultimate president, senior Mickey Thompson said.

The men’s team had its best season in five years last season. It went all the way to quarterfinals in the regional tournament.

“Ever year we get better and we are looking to do the same this year,” second-year coach Curtis Manning said. “We are in a very difficult region and use every season to build a stronger program.”

With teams from Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California and Utah all in the Southwest region, the Rams constantly face tough competition; especially teams like the Universities of Colorado and California at Santa Barbara, who are recognized as some of the strongest teams in the nation.

Manning has plenty of experience with higher-level teams as he himself plays for a team from Boulder made up of other college graduates who travel the country looking to keep their competitive edge.

According to Thompson, this year CSU will depend on strong senior guidance from Tony Petraglia, and intense defense from sophomore Adam Zwickl and sophomore Brett Kolinck. Seniors Ben Aldridge and Quin McClain, and junior Hayden Strickland will lead the team inspirationally with their aggressive play.

The first tournament of the year takes place Sept. 21-22 at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. The Rams will have to play hard to make up for the absence of their captains, seniors Nick Nelson and Mickey Thompson, who will be trying to earn their local Fort Collins team a trip to nationals.

According to Manning, the teams at this tournament are some of the best in the nation and CSU will learn a lot and be able to build off how well they compete. They will return to Colorado Springs Oct. 5-6 for the Southwest Regional Tournament.

Other tournaments include traveling to Utah Oct. 19-20 and to Georgia in the middle of November.

The women’s ultimate team is excited to start its season as well. According to sophomore captain and president Sara Gonnion, new players need no previous experience, just a desire to play hard and have fun.

“It is a great sport with a bunch of great people,” Gonnion said. “We have a new captain and are going to be doing things different this year. It is going to be a building year for the team.”

Last year the team did not play in many tournaments, but did manage to travel to Hawaii for some games. This year they hope to go to five or six tournaments and have a really fun and exciting year.

For those considering playing ultimate Frisbee, or want to learn more about it, informational meetings will be held tonight at 7 p.m. in the Student Recreation Center. The men’s meeting will be on the east side of the multi-purpose room and the women’s meeting will be in the west.