Authors: Nicole Guilkey

The noise. It’s all about the noise.

Even the most sports-illiterate spectator knows that half the fun, half the enjoyment resounds from the stands at any sporting event. From this apparently discreet source comes the sounds that make the real feel of the game, be it good or bad vibes.

Heck, every attendee of Saturday’s football game knows the sounds from the CSU side of the stands made the game just that much more fun. And as unbelievable as this may sound, even those on the side of the gold and black may possibly have enjoyed themselves, had they the right noise. And with the outcome of Saturday’s game, those Buff fans really needed the noise to make for a pleasurable experience.

What brings this noise about, what encourages it, could be attributed to our wonderful cheerleaders. Granted, they are the original source of the pep every time. But inevitably, if the crowd is a live, pulsating and breathing crowd of competitive college students, complete with a substantial supply of alcohol, the real noise will come.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not talking about a muted blanket of indiscernible mumbo jumbo. What I’m referring to is the heart and soul of every student rising up and joining in a unified cry as they proudly express their feelings towards their team (be that good or bad). It is these cheers that create the ambience, which makes collegiate sporting events memorable and entertaining.

Well, this portrayal of devoted fans cheering their team onward to victory (tear in eye, of course) is a stark comparison to the noise and cheers created at Saturday’s game. During the experience in the stands Saturday I heard an astonishing three cheers the entire game. Three cheers!

To add to this calamity, the word choice itself expressed the misfortune of this game’s noise quality. The three cheers consisted of “Go Home Dirty Hippies,” “Overrated,” and of course, the infamous “F— CU.”

Wow. Such profound cheers, so awe inspiring were they. They sound more to me like some tossed-aside sound bites for a B-movie from the 80s.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not demanding the cheers sound grammatically proficient and sophisticated. But come on, guys, what happened to the traditional, witty cheers of long ago? We are indeed representing a body of the well educated; our parents are indeed spending a fortune for us to get this college education. Yet we can’t even make up the simplest of cheers? Perhaps stating to you all the original purpose of the cheer will help you out.

The origin of the cheer was to show outward support for that particular person’s team. Wait. What’s that? Did I hear “that particular person’s team?” I sure did.

Come on, the purpose of our attendance at collegiate sporting events is to support our own team (the Rams, for those of you too drunk to discern) and spur them on to victory. Why do we insist on giving the opponents the joy of knowing they trouble us to the point of shifting our focus entirely upon them? Even as good as our athletes are, they still need us to show our camaraderie on their behalf. In the words of Cara Campbell, a junior speech communication major, “We need to focus on developing good cheers, not developing a chart for the different levels of drunkenness.”

So here is my charge. At your next tailgate, let the alcohol work for you, muster up your faithful spirit, and join your fellow CSU fans in reverberating Invesco Field with the sounds of Ram…not Buff, but Ram pride.