Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

The coverage has already begun, and will increase by the day.

As the anniversary of Sept. 11 gets closer, the number of specials appearing on TV, in newspapers and magazines and on the Internet will only continue to grow. By the time we reach the actual anniversary next Wednesday, coverage may approach a point that could only be described as over-saturation.

This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Sept. 11 was and is the most earth-shattering and traumatic event to impact the Unites States in generations. It was and remains what journalists call the “big story,” and deserves to be covered with all of the resources the international media can throw at it.

But with this amount of coverage comes great responsibility. The media (including The Collegian) should do what they can to focus on the people impacted by Sept. 11. The media should focus on the more positive, forward-looking aspects of the story – how the country came together after the attacks, the memorials that are being created, etc. We should focus on the future, what is to come, without unnecessarily asking our viewers or readers to relive the events of that horrible day.

We must also ensure that coverage does not become overly commercialized. Advertising, what little there may be, should be tastefully done, in keeping with the somber mood of the day.

The Collegian intends to publish an 8-page, advertising-free supplement on Sept. 11, focusing specifically on how CSU has been affected by this national tragedy. We hope you will read it.

nderstand, however, that media saturation may become too much for some to bear. If it does for you, turn off the TV, set aside the newspaper. You have the right to remember Sept. 11 in your own way, even if it doesn’t include the media.