Authors: Monique Lewis

About a half dozen reports per semester are made to the CSU Bookstore from students whose textbooks were swiped. Knowing what to do when textbooks are stolen or lost can save students hundreds of dollars.

Aretha Broughton, a junior accounting and computer information systems major, said someone took her book in the computer lab. Broughton let another student use her book during class. Just when she was about to leave home, she remembered it. She discovered the book and the student missing when she returned.

“It taught me that although just being friendly in general is good, by being too friendly, you could loose it all,” she said.

The majority of the offenses the bookstore deals with, such as Broughton’s case, occur in the library and math modules.

“It increases as we get closer to the end of year,” said John Parry, director of the CSU Bookstore. “The number one way to prevent them is to not leave them unattended. Maintain control of your possessions. Don’t give (thieves) the opportunity.”

If a book is stolen, students need to positively identify the book. Write your mother’s name, a birthday or pictures on specific pages to make it as distinct as possible. However, make sure to do this after you’ve decided to keep the book. If it is stolen, contact CSUPD first to place a case number. Then, report the stolen books to every bookstore location around campus. Specifically describe the book and the markings.

“We have the ability to go into our computer buyback system to note if the book was stolen,” Parry said, who will then ask for identification and notify CSUPD if the student is not the original owner of the book.

It’s important to take precautions such as holding onto your receipt and never leaving your backpack unattended.

“We had a customer stealing books from the School of Mines and selling the books at school buybacks across the Front Range,” Parry said. “We probably get one or so a semester. We certainly don’t want to see that happen (here).”

If your books are missing, check the main lost and found location at the information booth in the Lory Student Center. Every item is logged, remains there for 30 days, then donated to the community. If you’re tired of hauling around books all day, use the lockers in the Lory Student Center, math-testing center in the Weber Building and the Morgan Library.

“Every once in a while we have thieves who target those areas,” said Carl Swenson, CSUPD Lieutenant. “If students lock their items there won’t be as many problems. Replacing books is a hassle. Just don’t leave your items sitting out or unattended. It takes less time to do that than to replace credit cards (and other valuable possessions).”