Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Schools in Colo. are under pressure to improve the scores students get on their Colorado Student Assessment Program, or CSAP, test scores in order to receive, or lose, state funding.

Under pressure, as most college students know, you don’t always come up with the best solutions for problem solving.

Some administrators for Denver Public Schools seem to think that what the student is wearing could solve poor scores and help students learn.

As reported in the Denver Post Thursday, two elementary schools have required uniforms and a few others are starting the process by requiring students can only wear certain things.

The reason for this: they hope to follow a recent trend where many schools in Colorado, and across the country, report having better attendance and improved school spirit, which they attribute to the mandatory uniforms.

Sounds great, but is that true?

There is no study proving the turnaround is due to the uniform standard and, we think, there were probably other changes in how the school operates that had more impact.

Students, especially on the elementary level, are more likely to show improvement if schools work harder on improving things in the classroom.

Better teachers and better policies will improve scores, not preventing young children from wearing their favorite shirt.

We understand that things are tough for schools in Colo. right now and it is important for schools to gain control, but controlling how the students dress is not going to help.

Plus, we feel making uniforms mandatory in a public school is a bad idea because it stifles individuality, which is very important in helping children grow into solid, contributing members of society.