Authors: Melissa Pester

The 2002 gubernatorial race has two candidates striving for the position and awaiting Colorado’s vote on November 5.

Democratic candidate Rollie Heath and Republican candidate Gov. Bill Owens both have their campaigns up and running in the state.

Heath, who has become known as the healthcare candidate because of his healthcare initiative, has spent most of his life working in the business, civic and educational communities.

Coming out of the primary, Heath was one of three Democratic candidates interested in running for governor. Heath outlasted state Senate President Stan Matsunaka, D-Loveland, who originally wanted to run for governor but changed campaigns when Democrats urged him to run for U.S. representative in Colorado’s 4th District, which includes Fort Collins.

Heath would like to implement his personal plans, if elected, on solving many of the issues Coloradans are facing this year and in the future. For example, rather than focusing on growth in the sense of urban sprawl, Heath thinks the state needs to focus more on water distribution and conservation in the state. The Democratic candidate vows to restore lost jobs because of Colorado’s dwindling economy.

“Colorado’s revenues are dwindling, transportation projects go un-funded, children still lack the education they need and deserve, people are losing jobs, health care is becoming more and more unaffordable, and only half-hearted efforts have been made to address the impacts of growth,” Heath said on his campaign website.

Owens is looking to take on a second term as governor of Colorado. After four years as the state’s governor, Owens is responsible for the implementation of the Colorado Student Assessment Program, or CSAP, tests in the state’s public schools and the planning of Denver’s T-Rex road construction project.

If elected, his stance on the issues of Colorado looks to stay similar during his current term. He plans to continue the T-Rex project in order to alleviate the transportation issues in the Denver Metro area and soon all over the state. His growth plans leave more power to the local communities in Colorado.