Authors: Joelle Milholm

Image you have just played in the longest and most exhausting soccer game of your life.

This is not just any game, but one in the quarterfinals of the national tournament. This game did not end at the end of regulation, nor was it finished at the end of the first overtime. Double overtime was not even enough to conclude this match; it was going to have to be decided by a shootout. A whole season’s blood, sweat and tears are on the line and you watch the other team’s shot soar to the back of the net.

This is how last season ended for the CSU women’s soccer team. After having a 10-4-1 record, they lost to Arizona in the national tournament in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

The Rams’ dream is to go all the way this year and they think they can do it.

“We have a lot of returning players that will help our team,” said senior midfielder/forward Julia Steiner. “We have a good work ethic and have the opportunity to go far.”

One of the shining stars from the previous fall is sophomore forward Kerry

Greer. She qualified for the All-Tournament team in the national tournament last year.

“I am very excited for this year and I think we have the potential to do really well,” Greer said.

CSU soccer is played only in the fall and is divided into two sections, green and gold. The green plays at a slightly higher level than the gold.

After becoming competitive in 1996, the green team won the national championship in 1998 and the gold team did the same in their league in 1996, 1997 and 1999.

“There were only 40 people who tried out last year and normally we have around 80,” said soccer club president and senior midfielder/forward Emily

Hannah. “A lot of girls don’t know about it, or don’t think they are good enough, but most of the time they are and we really want them to come tryout.”

According to Hannah, there were only seven returning players last fall for a roster that can hold 18. This year there are a few more expected.

“We had to build a whole new team last season. This season we have a stronger foundation because we have a few more returning players, but we still need more people,” Hannah said.

Tryouts run today through Friday at 4:00 p.m. For those interested, bring running shoes and cleats and meet outside the Student Recreation Center.

It costs $10 to tryout, and participants will receive a CSU soccer t-shirt. Practices start next week and will likely take place Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 4 p.m. The soccer season officially begins Sept. 13 for the green team, when it plays rival CU at home. The gold team will start its season Sept. 14 versus Colorado School of Mines at home.