Authors: Megan Fromm

If two heads are better than one, then two science centers united in their efforts might be unstoppable.

The U.S. Geological Survey Fort Collins Science Center on Friday celebrated a collaboration with the Natural Resources Research Center (NRRC) campus during a dedication ceremony and open house at the center, 2150 Centre Ave.

The alliance of the science center, otherwise known as FORT, and the research center will help to consolidate and share workspace, resources and staff.

FORT, a partnership of government, university and private organizations, uses research to assist land managers in understanding and supervising biological resources, habitats and ecosystems.

NRRC is a campus-like site leased by CSU and managed by the U.S. General Services Administration. The organization was designed to enhance research regarding natural resources and to provide support for federal agencies operating under the Department of Agriculture and the Department of the Interior.

The organizations merged to make more efficient service to customers, dissemination of information, ongoing research and available technology. Both organizations want to promote understanding of the earth’s environment, natural resources and hazards.

At the dedication ceremony, U.S. Senator Wayne Allard, City Manager John Fischbach, and CSU President Albert C. Yates delivered remarks while the Valentine City Barbershop Chorus closed the ceremony with “God Bless America.”

After its completion in 2004, NRRC will consist of six buildings and will accommodate over 1,200 professionals.