Changes make campus safer

Authors: Katie Kochenberger

Safety measures taken on the CSU campus are more extensive than ever, so parents’ and students’ minds may be put at ease.

“Security campus-wide has done a tremendous job,” said Melissa Carroll, a resident assistant in Braiden Hall.

Carroll believes that both parents and students feel safe with security in the residence halls. All doors must have a key for entry and residents must pass through at least two access control points where they must use their key.

One problem that security has faced in the past was people without keys trailing residents into the halls. Residents might feel rude if they do not hold the door for someone or let a person in who is waiting by the door.

“It’s how safe the residents make it for themselves,” Carroll said. “Don’t be polite.”

Carroll believes if a resident lets someone in, then he or she must be responsible and accountable as to where that guest is. All guests must be escorted at all times.

Jasmine Wong, a freshman open option major, is staying in Braiden Hall. Her mother, Elaine Wong, feels that the dorms are providing a safe environment for her daughter. Jasmine’s first-floor room is equipped with an automatic locking door and a security device for the window.

After dorm residents get settled in, they should not overlook the obvious in staying safe. Carroll advises residents to never leave their doors unlocked, even if a roommate does not have a key to get in.

“Every hall has spare keys at all times,” Carroll said.

Front desk coverage expanded to seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day in spring 2002, and additional security enhancements are in the works for this fall.

Another service available to students is the Safe Walk Program. Seven nights a week, Campus Security Officers are available to walk people on campus from dusk until 1:00 a.m. CSOs can be contacted directly from any of the outdoor emergency intercoms, by pushing button phones located around campus or by calling 491-1155.

Emergency intercoms ring directly to police dispatch when the button is pushed. Emergency push button phones serve the same purpose but a number must be dialed.

Carroll says that not enough students take advantage of the CSOs and the free service they provide.

Anyone interested in more information about safety on campus should visit the CSUPD Web site at www.colostate.edu/Depts?CSUPD/csupd.html. The site has of information including crime statistics for the past three years and also has a service where crimes can be reported online.