Authors: Vince Blaser

Troy Graves, the man who admitted to six sexual assaults and two attempted assaults that occurred in Fort Collins between May 2001 and April 2002, is now behind bars for the rest of his life. Graves, 30, was also convicted of the rape and murder of Shannon Schieber and five other sexual assaults that occurred in Philadelphia in the late 1990s.

“I hate you, Troy Graves. With every ounce of my being I hate you,” said one victim, during a sentencing hearing in Fort Collins on July 29, according to The Denver Post. “If the devil had a physical replication, it would be you.”

Graves, a former senior airman at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyo. was arrested on April 23, 2002 soon after writing an anonymous letter to Fort Collins Police Services admitting to the assaults. He also said “I want to get caught” in the letter.

Graves pleaded guilty to the Fort Collins assaults on May 17 and to the Philadelphia crimes on May 30 in order to prevent a possible death penalty sentence in Philadelphia. Gregory M. Lammons, Larimer County’s chief deputy district attorney, decided to accept a plea by Graves’ public defender, Kathryn Hay, for a life sentence to be served in Colorado. Graves was sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole in both states, but will serve his time in Colorado because he pleaded guilty here first.

“Our goal in this case was to put (Graves) in prison for the rest of his life,” Lammons said. “Everything else was secondary.”

Six of Graves’ victims spoke their minds at his July hearing, in which Graves had six life sentences added by Larimer County District Judge Terence A. Gilmore. Lammons said it was up to the victims to use their constitutional right to speak at the sentencing hearing, and they had free reign over what they said.

“For a split second, I actually wondered if he could feel remorse,” said a victim during the hearing. “Then I remembered the very first time I heard the defendant speak. He whispered in my ear, ‘If you stop screaming, I won’t hurt you.'”

“Troy Graves, your life is now over,” said another victim.

“I am the one with the power and control now,” added another.

In hearings in both Fort Collins and Philadelphia, Graves apologized for his actions.

“Believe what you want, but I’m sorry,” Graves said in the Fort Collins hearing, according to the Denver Post. “I’m hoping my future actions will reflect my sincerity. I have cooperated with authorities fully, and hopefully in the future will talk to profilers, which hopefully will help future investigations and maybe myself,” he added in Philadelphia, where he was known as the “Center City Rapist.”

Lammons said although his office’s goal was to put Graves behind bars for life, it was an added bonus for taxpayers that the hearings went quickly and without trial.

“We went as we hoped it would,” Lammons said.

Graves is currently serving his life sentences in a maximum-security prison in Canon City. Until his arrest, he lived with his wife, Amy Wade, on the 1100 block of Ash Drive in Fort Collins.