Authors: Laura Standley

CSU students just starting their job search in Fort Collins may already be out of luck.

Many students arrive for the fall semester in late August while many employers hire their new employees at the beginning of summer or the first week in August.

“Being in the right place at the right time” is essential in finding a job, said Jeff See, general manager of Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon.

Of See’s 50- to 60-person staff, 30 to 40 of the people employed are students. Though he struggles to fill Monday, Wednesday, and Friday lunch shifts due to his staff taking classes at these times, about 20 applications are turned in every day. For See, availability is a crucial quality any new employee must have.

Sarah Urbanek, a junior graphic design art education major applied at about 20 places before landing a job at Newsom Hall cafeteria at the end of July.

Urbanek said that for her, finding a job was not a matter of being under-qualified.

“(Businesses) just weren’t looking for someone, even though there were signs in the window. It was a matter of rejection,” Urbanek said.

At The Buckle in Foothills Fashion Mall, at least 70 percent of employees are students at CSU or Front Range Community College, according to Amy Brunner, assistant manager. However, Brunner said she hires in late July or early August and at the end of September, leaving no room for students who arrive in late August.

Brunner said that at least 25 applications are turned in every day at her store.

Foley’s has at least one full-time position open, said to Human Resources Manager Charmaine Harris. Harris said of the estimated 270 people working for Foley’s, only about 35 of them are students.

Harris said the months with the greatest employee turnover are May and August, but she says only about 6 people are new employees right now.

For students still looking when the holiday season arrives, Foley’s will hire 85 to 100 employees to help with the high volume of costumers during these months. Harris estimates that about 50 percent of those seasonal employees will be students.

Nathan Sego, a senior business marketing major, hit the mall at the right time, about two weeks ago. He said he found his retail sales job at Zumiez because of “a friend of a friend” and to him, finding a job in Fort Collins is “very hard.”

Sego said he does not feel the only way to find a job in Fort Collins is by knowing the right people, but it makes it easier.

Gregory Romans, general manager of the Armadillo restaurant in Old Town, said that he receives 4 to 8 applications a day. Of the 47 employees at the Armadillo, Romans estimates that 30 are students. Romans said his restaurant does not have a consistent hiring boom, but “sudden turnovers” instead. Romans said he is always looking for the right person to fill a position at his store.

Although most local businesses have full staffs right now, some are still hiring. A sign outside Kentucky Fried Chicken on South College Avenue spells out what job-searching students want to see: “Now Hiring.”

Students looking for employment should visit the Student Employment Office in the Student Services Building located on the southeast side of the Oval.

On and off campus job opportunities are posted. The listings are also available on RAMweb.

For more information, call Janeen Sivon at 491-5714.