Authors: Linda Lechler

Despite a cost increase for the upcoming semester, CSU’s parking permit costs are the cheapest of three largest universities in the state.

The cost of parking permits this year have increased by $5, costing students $75 and faculty and staff $85 for one year. The money from permit sales goes toward maintenance of lots and expenses for parking services, said Michel Rose, director of University Parking Services.

Permit costs are increasing because parking services receives no money from the state, university tuition or student fees and the demands for parking are increasing, Rose said.

“Every dollar that’s paid to parking goes to support the parking program,” Rose said.

Parking permits are required in all lots at CSU except for some areas around Moby Arena. Permits and the enforcement of permits are essential to keeping the value of a permit and to deter unfair use of lots, Rose said.

“Enforcement is not a money issue,” Rose said. “It’s to be fair.”

The cost of permits and unavailability of spaces have upset some CSU students.

“The cost is too high and after the morning, it’s just too hard to find a spot,” said Matthew Kuckkahn, a junior majoring in social work.

For those who are frustrated with parking availability, alternative modes of transportation such as buses, bikes and walking need to be considered, Rose said.

“We have a hard job in parking services,” Rose said. “We’re not the bad guy; we’re trying to manage something we don’t have enough of.”

Rose acknowledges the parking problem and says options and solutions are being discussed.

“It’s going to take a lot of solutions to fix the problem,” Rose said. “And something’s going to have to change.”

The parking services’ major plan for a creative solution to this problem involves less parking on campus.

One of the possible solutions would be a shuttle system from a large parking lot where students could ride the shuttles into campus instead of bringing their cars, Rose said.

“If we can work out something with Transfort for a shuttle system, it could happen in one to two years,” Rose said.

Some CSU students have already found alternatives to driving to campus.

“With more and more students, everyone’s going to want to get spaces,” says Rob Riss, a senior majoring in computer information sciences. “I just take the bus, then I don’t have to worry about it.”

Although the parking situation can be frustrating to faculty, staff and students, people need to change their mindsets and find alternative means of transportation, Rose said.

“Ultimately, we’re trying to be as fair and equitable to our customers as possible,” Rose said.

Suggestions can be sent to the Parking Services Committee at Green Hall where they will be considered and possibly implemented.