Authors: Joelle Milholm

As students slowly begin to return to Fort Collins and flood the vacant streets, there are a few major construction zones of which they should be aware.

The Burlington Northern railroad track that runs through campus has a broken rail and will require major repair work on the north side of campus. West Laurel Street will be closed Monday at South Mason Street around the track until crews can guarantee all trains can travel safely along it, according to Syl Mireles of City of Fort Collins Traffic. Laurel runs along the north side of the CSU campus.

Another major construction concern is a four-part project on West Taft Hill Road that began in August 2001 and is expected to continue through late fall of this year, according to the City of Fort Collins Web site.

Taft Hill is being widened to two lanes in each direction from Valley Forge Avenue to Bronson Street, and medians, sidewalks and landscaped parkways are being added. A large detention pond is also being installed southwest of Taft Hill and West Drake Road. The Spring Creek bike trail will be completed with a trail connection tunnel under Taft Hill. Construction workers will also be undergrounding electric lines, two sections of a new water main and updating existing utilities.

Taft Hill is now open to one lane of traffic each way, despite having been closed from January 2002 through June. Occasional lane closures might result in minor delays to ensure that construction crews can safely complete the projects. Workers ask that drivers take care in these zoned areas and follow the posted speed limits.

“We try to limit construction during the school year, but pre-planned and emergency projects have to be taken care of,” Mireles said. “Our crews will only work during working hours to minimize problems with traffic.”

North College Avenue East Olive Street in Old Town will be closed from August 19-23 for the installation of a storm sewer line, and will also close in the evenings from August 23-25 for paving. Main Street at South Lemay Avenue will be closed from August 21-26 for the installation of a concrete cross-pan.

In addition, the intersections of South Bryan Avenue and West Mountain Avenue and West Oak Street and City Park Avenue will be closed from August 19-23 for concrete work.

For more information on road closures or construction projects, contact the city of Fort Collins Traffic at 221-6630 or visit their website at http://www.fcgov.com.