One hundred and ten years ago, a few dedicated people began what would become the oldest student newspaper in Colorado. The monthly newspaper with a staff of less than ten people has become the only daily student paper in the state with a staff of 130 people.

From a reporter’s first phone call and every new ad designed, The Rocky Mountain Collegian is an evolving institution that re-creates itself everyday, a job we affectionately dub our “daily miracle;” a miracle that could not exist without the time, talent and dedication of every individual’s contribution.

To most of you reading this, The Collegian is a simple college newspaper. But to these dedicated staffers the Collegian is more: it’s a training opportunity for the real world, a creative outlet, and, for a few of us exceptionally crazy ones, a way of life.

While the only thing lower than their G.P.A.’s was their salary, these people put their time into something that I never could have paid them enough for.

This year, Collegian staffers were expected to help write history and not only stood up to the challenge but excelled in a way this paper never has before.

The newsroom staff this year was, on the whole, younger than it has been in the past. Rookie reporters, photographers and page designers were all expected to step to fill the shoes of their predecessors immediately /_” and they did, without any problems and surpassing expectations.

Yes, there were bumps along the road this year. We made mistakes, but we learned, we improved and we excelled.

I want to thank each and every single Collegian staffer who helped make this “miracle” everyday. Thanks to the advertising and production staff. Without their work, we would never be able to have a daily paper. Thanks to the reporters and columnists who provide the content you read everyday. Thanks to the photographers who make the paper fun to look at. Thanks to the page designers and copy editors who, into the wee hours of the night, take all that we throw at them and somehow manage to produce a well-designed newspaper.

I would also like to give special thanks to the editors of the paper who are the backbone of what you see everyday.

Zeb Carabello, my right-hand man, an amazing writer, who’s always cool, calm and collected even when the world seems to be falling apart.

Becky Waddingham, a news hound to her core, who has brought her talent to all areas of the paper with her countless hours of hard work.

Nicole Weiss, a true sports fan, who can do anything she sets her mind to.

Josh Hardin, who, with all of his talents, could single-handedly produce his own publication.

Ashley Schlesinger, who was entrusted with one of the most important jobs- training a new league of Collegianites.

Lisa Freeland, an amazing designer with an eye for style and keen knowledge of entertainment.

Jessica Hyland, the queen of multi-tasking and planning ahead of time who helped create a new Collegian section.

Wendy Livingston, whose calm and quiet personality pushed the graphics desk ahead.

Annie Greengrass, an amazing photographer, manager and person.

Kate Hunley, whose patience and desire to make the paper better has kept her here more late nights than I can ever imagine.

Bud Hunt, whose passion for journalism has challenged him hold the gamut of Collegian jobs, all of which he has excelled in.

Ben Koerselman, my successor, who will push this paper to heights I could never imagined.

Also, a special thanks to Jeff Browne, our amazing adviser, who has provided immeasurable moral support and kept us from being sued on more times than we could count.

While this newspaper existed 109 years before we took over, and will continue long after we graduate, this staff of The Rocky Mountain Collegian has made history in every sense of the word. I sincerely hope that all of you will look back on your college days with fond thoughts for your time at the Collegian. I know that I certainly will have them for this newspaper and for all of you.

Thank you.

Maria Sanchez-Traynor was the 2001-2002 editor in chief of the Collegian.