All-league Laird wins

Authors: Joelle Milholm

Following an individual title on Wednesday at the Mountain West Conference Men’s Golf Championship in Sun River, Ore., CSU sophomore golfer Martin Laird was named to the MWC All-Conference Team.

He finished two under par and two strokes above his competition. Laird headed into the second day trailing San Diego State sophomore Mark Warman, but shot two under after four birdies on his last nine holes to come out with the victory.

“I came off a great tournament at BYU, and I am glad I played well,” said Laird, who tied for sixth at BYU, helping CSU to a first place finish last month.

Originally from Bearsden, Scotland, Laird has a history of success. He won multiple awards while attending Bearsden Academy and most notably was a member of the school’s champion Scottish golf team his senior year.

“Martin is a very talented golfer. He has played (Sun River) before and played in conditions he likes. Being from Scotland, he is used to the wind and it suited his game well,” said CSU Head Coach Jamie Bermel. UNLV won the crown, but CSU played well and finished sixth. After finishing eighth in the first round, the Rams finished strong and now await word on a seventh consecutive invitation to the NCAA West Regionals.

“We got off to a slow start, but we came back and played well in the last two rounds,” Bermel said.

If the Rams get accepted to Regionals, they will compete May 16-18 in Albuquerque, N.M.

The CSU women’s golf team, along with BYU and New Mexico, will represent the MWC in the 2002 NCAA West Regionals May 9-11 in Stanford, Calif.

This will be the second consecutive year CSU will attend Regionals under the tutelage of second year head coach Megan Menzel.

The Rams, who finished 15th last year and hope to do even better this year, are led by red hot freshman MWC champion Lynette Duran.

The top eight teams and two individuals from each of the three regions will then go on to play in the NCAA golf championship May 21-24. n