Softball ends year at home

With its back against the wall and a 4-11 conference record, the CSU softball team looks to end a seven-game losing streak in its final home stand of the season.

At 1:30 p.m. today at Rams Field, CSU faces Mountain West Conference foe BYU (4-8, 27-19) in its last attempt to revive a floundering season.

Although their 4-11 record puts the Rams at the bottom of the conference, head coach Mary Yori said the record does not reflect the team’s talent.

“We have lost some close games,” Yori said. “We’ve lost some where we have been out in front and been unable to finish (our opponent) off. Three or four of those losses could have gone either way.”

The biggest challenge facing the Rams today is BYU sophomore slugger Oli Keohohou, who leads the conference in nearly every offensive category, including average (.444), hits (48), home runs (17) and RBIs (43).

“She’s a great player,” Yori said. “If we have to walk her every time she comes to the plate, we’ll walk her. The situation will dictate what we do.”

The series is also the final home games for seniors Kai Stone and Amanda Kocis.

“Mentally, emotionally and physically it’s been exhausting,” said Kocis of her career at CSU. “It’s unfortunate to be done with the game, but it’s been really fun with the memories and friendships I’ve built over the years.”

Stone added that though her career is coming to a close, she still wants to finish it on top.

“The season hasn’t been perfect, but you can’t expect that,” Stone said. “To close out the year with the conference championship is all that we have left to do.” n