Authors: Rachel Spannuth

A scratchy voice and the twang of guitars start out Drag the River’s latest album, “Closed.”

The majority of their songs are about something that many people living in a college town may consider a major part of their lives: alcohol.

The mainly Fort Collins-based band features two local legends: Chad Price, the lead singer of All, and Jon Snodgrass, from Armchair Martian, as the vocalists and guitarists. The rest of the band consists of Zach Boddicker on electric guitars, J.J. Nobody, of the Colorado Springs punk bands The Nobodys and J.J. Nobody and the Regulars, on bass and Paul Rucker on drums.

While many punk bands turn to emo-core as their escape from the driving beats of their genre, Drag the River creates a unique version of southern rock that anyone can enjoy. While the songs are tinged with hints of heartbreak and nights of too much drinking, it leaves the listener with a warm feeling that is very different from that of depression that emo tends to bring.

“Calloused Heart #2,” one of the best tracks on the album, has the bitterness one would expect from the title, yet the amazing guitars and harmonizing vocals make it a song even the happiest person can enjoy.

The second track on the album, “Medicine,” is one of the more developed and beautiful songs.

Throughout the album, the vocals are full and refreshing. The combined vocals of Price and Snodgrass make one yearn for the next song to wash over them. This is quite possibly the best album to come out of the state in a while.

All in all, the album is something different, something amazing. It definitely brings a rounded-out quality to the local music scene. If you haven’t yet heard it, pick up a copy. It’s one of those albums that should be in everyone’s music collection. n