They have broken out the brooms in San Diego.

The CSU softball team (17-25 overall, 4-9 Mountain West Conference) visited San Diego State University (35-20-1,11-3) Friday looking to enact some revenge on the Aztecs, who swept the Rams at Rams Field two weeks ago. However, history was repeated as SDSU again knocked off CSU, winning 9-2 and 1-0.

“We need to have a breakout series this weekend,” said CSU head coach Mary Yori, before her team took on the Aztecs. “Every game is important, but these carry some extra weight.”

The breakout, however, never surfaced for the Rams as they once again fell victim to SDSU freshman ace pitcher Bre DeSanta (15-8), who started and won both games of the doubleheader, giving up two runs on six hits combined while pitching back-to-back complete games.

The Aztecs jumped out to an early lead in game one, scoring two runs on freshman starter Melanie Mahoney.

The Rams tied the score at two in the top of the third when catcher Kerry Farrell scored on leftfielder Katie Koch’s single and first baseman Amanda Kocis drove in Steph Roberts with a sac fly.

However, those two runs proved to be the last DeSanta would allow, while the Aztec offense took control by scoring three runs in the fifth and sixth innings on pitchers Mahoney and Maren Christensen.

Mahoney, who has been named MWC pitcher of the week twice this season, had one of her worst starts of the conference season, going 4.1 innings while giving up six runs on nine hits and three walks.

Game two proved to be a pitcher’s duel between Ram sophomore starter Megan Masser and DeSanta.

Again, the Aztecs jumped out to an early lead, scoring the only run of the game in the bottom half of the first inning.

Masser and DeSanta battled the rest of the way, but it was DeSanta who prevailed in the end, winning her conference-leading 15th game of the season.

Lack of run support by the Rams led Masser, who allowed one run on six hits over six innings of work, to her ninth loss of the season.

The Rams played a doubleheader at UNLV Sunday; however, the games had not concluded by press time. n