Tennis takes on league best

The CSU women’s tennis team is currently competing in the Mountain West Conference Championship Tournament in Provo, Utah.

The Rams, who are entering the tournament with a 6-16 regular season record and a 1-7 conference record, are seeded seventh and faced No. 2 UNLV in the first round.

The Rams are guaranteed two matches in the tournament, and if they defeat UNLV, they will face the winner of the match between Air Force and New Mexico. If they lose, they will play the loser of the Air Force/New Mexico match.

“We’d really like another shot at New Mexico,” said head coach Jon Messick. “We played the Lobos really well the first time around, and I think we have a good chance of beating them this time around.”

The Rams’ only conference win this season came against Wyoming in March. Wyoming is the No. 8 seed and will face No. 1 San Diego State in the first round of the tournament. The other first round match is between Utah and BYU.

If the Rams are able to win the tournament, they will advance to the NCAA regional tournament held in two weeks. If they don’t win, they still have a chance at a large bid if the team performs well enough.

“We’re not really looking toward the final results of the tournament,” Messick said. “Right now we’re just interested in getting out there and having a good match against UNLV.”

The Rams played UNLV earlier this season and lost 7-0. They also lost tough matches to Air Force, 4-3, and New Mexico, 5-2.

“It would feel really good to come back and beat some of these teams,” said senior Catherine Sullivan. “It would also be a great way to finish my tennis career at CSU.”

The tournament began yesterday and will last through Saturday. If the Rams pick up a win in either of the first two rounds, they will play in the Saturday matches. n