Mother Nature has not been on the Rams’ side recently in spring sporting events, and that trend appears apt to continue.

Having had their Ram Invitational track and field meet washed out last weekend, the men’s and women’s track and field teams look to host another home meet, the Jack Christiansen Invitational, Saturday.

“Getting washed out last weekend really hurt,” said assistant coach Tom Flood. “We’re getting down to the last couple of weeks before conference and we still have a lot of athletes who need to get races, jumps and throws in to build up confidence going into conference.”

As a precursor to the Jack Christiansen Invitational, CSU will host the Glenn Morris Multi-Meet today starting at 10 a.m. and Friday.

According to Flood, the two-day event will feature heptathletes and decathletes from around the region looking to qualify for the Mountain West Conference Championships May 15-18.

“This is the final tune-up for multi-eventers before conference,” Flood said.

Senior decathlete Matt Weber and freshman heptathlete Chrissy Gordon are the two athletes representing CSU for the event.

Apart from those two meets, a handful of Rams travel to Iowa this week to participate in the Drake Relays in Drake, Iowa, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

For the men, junior distance runner Jason Galus has the opportunity to run his first meet against nationally-ranked competition in the men’s 10,000-meter run, while senior and 2001 All-American Rob Vermillion looks to qualify for nationals in the men’s 800-meter run.

Furthermore, junior distance runner Raegan Robb looks to set a personal best in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase.

Representing the women are seniors Liz Roodell, Becky Hammond and Kelly Schumacher and juniors Kim Watson, Christy Virgin, Mary Ridder and Meg Larson.

According to head coach Del Hessel, the women will compete in relay events such as the distance-medley relay, the 3,200-meter relay and the 6,400-meter relay.

“Kim Watson will have the busiest day,” Hessel said. “She has been putting up some awesome times in distance events, and this is really her first season running distance.”

With more harsh weather in the forecast this weekend, Flood said Saturday’s home meet could be postponed until Sunday.

“They are discussing postponement, because it is imperative that we have a meet this weekend,” Flood said. “Hopefully, Mother Nature will look out for the Rams this weekend.” n