This weekend’s trip to Albuquerque, N.M., will be an important one for CSU women’s tennis.

The Rams will face the University of New Mexico and Air Force in their last conference regular season matches. With wins in these matches, the Rams could gain a five or six seed in the upcoming Mountain West Championship tournament,

“We feel like we have a good shot at New Mexico,” said head coach Jon Messick. “Air Force is a pretty tough team and they are very strong in doubles play.”

Because of the Falcons’ powerful doubles teams, Messick said there will be more pressure on the Rams’ singles game to carry the load.

The Rams carry a 6-13 overall record into this weekend, with a 1-4 conference record, which wins against these teams would greatly improve. They have one win in their last six matches and are coming off a Tuesday road loss to the University of Denver.

“We’re a little banged up after the match with DU,” Messick said. “Bobbe Vasos has a sore ankle and missed a couple of practices, and Sanja Hansson has some soreness too, but it’s nothing that will keep either of them from playing in Albuquerque.”

Last weekend, the Rams were defeated by BYU and Utah but were able to knock off Wyoming for their only conference win. They lost a tough match to DU in a non-conference match.

“I had actually looked forward to the DU match as a good way to stay competitive during the week,” Messick said. “Hopefully, we will be able to keep the focus from that match and carry it into the weekend.”

The matches against Air Force and New Mexico will close out their conference schedule, and the Rams will have one more regular season match against the University of Colorado in Fort Collins on April 20.

The Mountain West Conference Championship tournament will be held on April 25 in Provo, Utah. If the Rams do well enough there, they will advance to the NCAA Regional Tournament held on May 10. n