Its time to pull out your pocketbooks.

Despite rough economic conditions, CSU students are facing a tuition increase of 7.7 percent for next year.

True, Colorado’s tuition increase is lower than the national average, but the recently unfavorable job market can make even a couple hundred dollars seem like much more.

On one hand, the $193 in-state tuition increase doesn’t sound like much, but out-of-state students will have to dish out an extra $843.

As much as we don’t like spending extra money, the increase is definitely needed. Our professors deserve raises, and we need to insure our programs stay competitive with other universities.

Before the state asks students to cover the extra costs, maybe they should think about allocating more money to higher education. Colorado is ranked 41st in terms of state and local appropriations for higher education, and it seems fair to ask the government for an equivalent contribution.

Some of the increases won’t even go towards our own education; a percentage of the increase assists need-based students. If the Joint Budget Committee plans on using 25 percent of the tuition increase money for scholarships, this will hurt middle-class students who don’t qualify for financial aid. It doesn’t make sense to provide an affordable education for a few students at the expense of the rest.

CSU graduates have the misfortune of entering a terrible job market, and paying off student loans isn’t going to get any easier.

However, changing times mean rising prices. If education is in fact priceless, the increase is worth it in the long run.